Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

These Boots are Made for Walking in a Winter Wonderland and not Slip-Sliding Away!

Now there's an interesting musical medley for you! I'm attempting to hum it right now...

I have just run across an absolutely delightful video on YouTube that I wanted to share with you all. Not only is the kid in it absolutely adorable, but the video itself is quite funny, too! And the music chosen only adds to the giggle. Go take a peek at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-sw49J_mM0 . I'll wait while you go smile.

Back already? Great! As many of you know, I live in Central Texas, and contrary to non-Texan beliefs, it gets colder than Sweden here in the winter, much to the surprise of my international friends who think of cactus when they think of Texas. The reason it gets so cold here, as the story goes, is because there is only a single barb-wire fence between here and the Arctic Circle and two strands of that are down. Been down for decades, actually, as no one seems to be able to find that section of the fence to mend it. Hey, Texas is a BIG place!

We don't get much snow except for a few hours worth and it's gone before you can charge up the camera to take pictures to prove it, but we do get ice storms that can last a day or more. So, when my friend in the balmy south of France showed me this video, (they actually have a mountain there that gets snow), I knew I had to have these "Spare Spike" ice walking overshoes just to get through the parking lot at work, especially since I work the late shift and it's too dark to see my feet on icy nights. They should arrive any day now, but I suspect the ice storm cometh first, at least according to the latest forecast for this week.

Hmmm, I wonder if they could make these for tires? Just stretch 'em over your wheels in a pinch. Great for those times when chains are overkill. Maybe I should tell the company about my idea? Think they'll give me a patent? Royalties? How about for those old-fashioned roller skate wheels?

Anyway, they put their website link on YouTube and I feel it is worth mentioning here, too, if only for the safety factor for those of you who live in ice-prone areas or who may be handicapped.
http://www.winterwalking.com/products/spare-spiketm
is where I ordered my Spare Spike overshoes from and they've got all kinds of ice cleat shoes for walking in the mountains in the south of France, as well as here in flat prairie Texas. OK, you're right, I lied...I'm actually where the Hill Country begins here but it's still pretty doggone flat.

So, the next time you find yourself landing flat on your trailer hitch in the snow, remember you could have stayed upright and unbruised if you'd only paid attention to my blog for a change.

Have fun!
Crystal
:)

About Crystal Eikanger

Crystal Eikanger is a freelance writer, web designer, video editor and voice talent working as Ei-Kan Productions on http://www.rentacoder.com as well as other freelance sites.

1 comment:

  1. We don't get much snow except for a few hours worth and it's gone before you can charge up the camera to take pictures to prove it, but we do get ice storms that can last a day or more.
    walking boots

    ReplyDelete